Red Dwyer ~ Live 3 pm EDT (GMT-5)

Red Dwyer ~ Live 3 pm EDT (GMT-5)

Home Forums RedmundPro Forums Live Chat Red Dwyer ~ Live 3 pm EDT (GMT-5)

This topic contains 34 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Red 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author

Red
    Keymaster

Q

Raymond Alexander Kukkee asked: Red, is it generally a bad idea to just run with a story line as the muse dictates regardless of timeline?

I had a voracious reader tell me (yesterday) that it makes no difference unless it’s a ‘went here, then there, then there, traveling east’ type of story. Did you run into that problem with KUS ? Do you think it’s better to write everything in continuity?

A

That depends on the story. I am writing about this in my new series on M3. Timeline is necessary for most stories because it keeps the reader headed toward a goal with a familiar line to hold onto along the way.

With KUS, the timeline was important to a large degree because events were cumulative. (You could not do this until you had done that.) This is true until there are two paths to take where you explore both paths. Then, you must be careful to return to the fork before your reader forgets where it was.

I believe without continuity the story does not exist as anything except notes. If it is a collection of isolated events without a theme tying them together, it is not a story. Do note, continuity and timeline are not always the same thing.

Ian Shaw
    Participant

Not really, you’ve covered most of what I was thinking of apart from mentioning the importance of having a good relationship with editors and beta readers.

Love and hugs!

Prenin.

Red
    Keymaster

Very true, Ian. A good beta reader is the unsung hero of good books. Beta readers tell you where there are boulders in the road and holes in the story, while the editor polishes it until it shines.

Janet Russell
    Participant

Thanks, Red… though I could not attend, reading it now, later is very helpful to understanding both your process and you as an author.

🙂  Janet

Red
    Keymaster

This thread is not going anywhere, Janet. If you have more questions, you are more than welcome to ask. Glad you are feeling better!

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.