Laurie Childree ~ Live 12 pm EDT

Laurie Childree ~ Live 12 pm EDT

Home Forums RedmundPro Forums Live Chat Laurie Childree ~ Live 12 pm EDT

This topic contains 35 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Laurie Beall 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Raymond A. Kukkee
    Participant

To some degree, yes, I meant , that type of character,  the hard-working solid, confident men and women of rural areas,  but also different ‘origins’  ie, Ukrainian, Dutch, or Finnish,  for instance. They have very different accents to start off with,  pet names for everything,  and not always the same POV about basic tenets of society.  You commented to me previously about the Southern accents in FOW,  but actually those people are in southern Canada..haha!   (Rural, pragmatic, hard-working salt-of -the earth types. )  Have you ever written about them (the similar kinds of people–from your area ) in fiction?

Laurie Beall
    Participant

OH! It was transferrance! I’m sure the accent of Southern Canada and my country Southerns is rather different.

I’ve attempted to write about them, something keeps getting lost in the translation. It would seem that they are becoming rare, and even areas relatively close in proximity do not understand the dialect any longer. It is a shame really. One day I’ll get down on the page correctly, until then the story will just continue to form waiting for the characters to fill it.

Raymond A. Kukkee
    Participant

“”Left to its own devices my mind wanders continually which means that the story writes itself, but finding the story line itself takes a bit more time.”””

I really LIKE this comment….the story does have to write itself.  I was going to ask you about that! Smartie.    In the old days they may have called that ‘divinely inspired’ thought……..

I have left stories for MONTHS wondering where they were going.  Is that asking for trouble in continuity though?  Have you ever written something, left it for a few weeks and then wondered “did I REALLY write that”?

Laurie Beall
    Participant

Leaving them alone for any length of time can cause trouble in continuity for me. Yes, I have left something along for a few weeks then questioned if I actually wrote it. It is common actually, I’m not sure if it’s a memory issue a disbelief issue though.

Raymond A. Kukkee
    Participant

Haha, transferrance, that’s hilarious and too true.  Canadians always think about Americans as having dialect accents, some in the extreme,  but we in Ontario do not speak the same as folks in BC  or Newfoundland either….  That may be part of the equation.

I have to ask, do you pick up other dialects easily in real life, talking to people?  Do you find it helps your writing?

Raymond A. Kukkee
    Participant

I have to make notes…to keep track of everything. I keep a running footnote spacing ahead of the whole text  and highlight important stuff,  so I can reference it quickly, how do you handle that problem?

Laurie Beall
    Participant

I’m more likely to pick up gestures than dialects, the one I’m most comfortable with is the one I grew up speaking, and it is fading as the need for proper(ish) English takes over. The more properly I have to speak the more my accent fades as I have to think about every word that leaves my mouth.

Left alone to write dialogue, I write whatever pops into my head without worry of the form or the actual words so it comes off more naturally. (I hope).

Laurie Beall
    Participant

Notes are only my strong point when I have to do research, then they’re in my own special short hand. I may write some questions that come up as I write, or before I write so see what I want or need to write, but other than that I just write, edit, write some more and edit again. Of course, I do believe that I’ve proven OCD to be contagious and managed to catch it.

Unless it’s poetry, then I’ve been known to have absolutely nothing but the first thing that pops into my head land on the page.

Raymond A. Kukkee
    Participant

So you’re comfortable with your own writing, that’s great!  Tell me something, are you comfortable with editors changing the way your characters speak,  removing the “Laurie-esque” characteristics of your writer’s voice?

Laurie Beall
    Participant

It would depend on the editor, after all the time with freelance articles I’ve come to the point where I get “fix it” requests for other’s work but my own is typically sent back to me with a “fix it” order no matter how small the error.

So I guess the answer would be that it would depend entirely on the competence level of the editor and how much the change of the voice in that instance changed the entire story. Or if they realize what they are changing when they change it.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.