Gail Thornton ~ Live Chat. February 26 3 pm EDT

Gail Thornton ~ Live Chat. February 26 3 pm EDT

Home Forums RedmundPro Forums Live Chat Gail Thornton ~ Live Chat. February 26 3 pm EDT

This topic contains 36 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Laurie Beall 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 37 total)
  • Author

Gail Thornton
    Participant

Hi there Janet!

Gail Thornton
    Participant

Hi there Laurie! I’ve answered for both the poem and the book above>

Laurie Beall
    Participant

Wow! 40 years of inspiration? When did you first realize you could write poetry??

Gail Thornton
    Participant

I was ten yeas old when I began writing poetry, but first fell in love with it with “There was an old woman who swallowed a fly.” haha It had that dark humor I love so well.

Gail Thornton
    Participant

Laurie asked:
    Q. You have said in previous interviews that you edited your poems numerous times. What were you editing for? Was it grammar, spelling, emotion or all of the above? How do you know when you are done with the edits for a poem?

A. (Smiles) Great question. For the most part, none of the above. I do correct those things after I have written the poem, but the edits I was talking about have to do with extra words and word choice. I write the poem out longhand. After rearranging lines if needed, I go through the poem line by line cutting every unnecessary word while keeping the original meaning in tact. Regarding word choice, usually the original poem has the feeling correct, but I want a more precise word to convey it in certain lines. This might be a color, a texture, a metaphor or an image to replace what was originally there. I know I am done when I can cut no more and the poem has the fullness I wanted.

Janet Russell
    Participant

What’s you favorite genre to write, Gail?

🙂

Gail Thornton
    Participant

My favorite genre to write is memoir, Janet. I am writing a second memoir right now, and it depends on more writing craft than the first. I like memoir because I am writing what I know, even if memoirs in general are one person’s perception of events.

Laurie Beall
    Participant

So when you write poems do you start with a feeling and then write until you achieve the feeling? Is that the concept? or do you see something and decide to write? hear something? What inspires you when you write? I mean does the idea form fully then get put to paper or does it form as you write?

Gail Thornton
    Participant

This upcoming memoir may in fact be marketed as a novel, I haven’t decided and want to get legal advice for it. It reveals not only dark truths about myself, but also those of others.

Janet Russell
    Participant

thanks, Gail… that brings me to another question… how do you remember so well so many events from so early in your life? Did you journal, even as a child? Or do you rely on the memories of others?

It seems it would be hard to articulate how you felt some 30 years prior, but you sure did a great job with GIL!

🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.