Gail Thornton ~ Live Chat. February 26 3 pm EDT

Gail Thornton ~ Live Chat. February 26 3 pm EDT

Home Forums RedmundPro Forums Live Chat Gail Thornton ~ Live Chat. February 26 3 pm EDT

This topic contains 36 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Laurie Beall 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 37 total)
  • Author

Gail Thornton
    Participant

Please post questions you have for me regarding writing, memoir, poetry, and publishing through Redmund Productions. Hope to see you here!

Laurie Beall
    Participant

Where did you get the inspiration from when you wrote “The Regret of a Flower” ?

“The Girl in the Iron Lung” is autobiographical, how did you feel while you were writing it?

Red
    Keymaster

Gail, many memoir writers fight tenaciously to keep their original language in tact, even when the turns of phrase are too colloquial to appeal to a broader audience. How does change verbiage mainstream memoirs to appeal to a broader audience without watering down the author’s experience both as a character in the book and as the author?

Laurie Beall
    Participant

You have said in previous interviews that you edited your poems numerous times. What were you editing for? Was it grammar, spelling, emotion or all of the above? How do you know when you are done with the edits for a poem?

Janet Russell
    Participant

Hi Gail…

Being such an all consuming life situation, was it difficult to write GIRL IN THE IRON LUNG?

What was your purpose in creating this lovely memoir?

thanks,
    Janet

Janet Russell
    Participant

How have the real life characters in your memoirs reacted to the way you wrote about them? Was it tough to include people who are really part of your life?

🙂

thanks,

janet

Gail Thornton
    Participant

I want to thank you all for being here! I’m happy to answer your questions.

Janet Russell
    Participant

Hi Gail… how’s it going?

🙂

Gail Thornton
    Participant

Laurie asked :
    Q. Where did you get the inspiration from when you wrote “The Regret of a Flower”?

A. For the poem of that title, I reached a point where I realized I had a habit of turning down praise and not allowing people their good feelings toward me. The poem arose from an epiphany.

For the book, it is a collection of poetry which comes from every varied facet of my creative life which spans almost forty years. To point to one inspiration would be very hard for me. I have always been a nature and culture lover, which shows in the poems. I also have an affinity for those who live on the fringe of mental health and those who have a unique vulnerability in a society which pressures people to conform.

Q. “The Girl in the Iron Lung” is autobiographical, how did you feel while you were writing it?

A. It had been a book which I needed to write for a very long time. While I was writing it, difficult emotions resurfaced, as did the sense of triumph I had for each accomplishment.

Laurie Beall
    Participant

Hi Gail!

Good to see you!

What was the inspiration behind “The Regret of a Flower”??

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.