Does poetry need to be edited?

Does poetry need to be edited?

Home Forums RedmundPro Forums Does poetry need to be edited?

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Andro 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Gail Thornton
    Participant

Hello, I am Gail Thornton, an author and published poet here at Redmund Productions. Many people have come to me wondering if their poetry needs to be edited. I don’t have a clear answer, but they are often attached to their work as written. Let’s have a discussion about editing and punctuation.

Laurie Beall
    Participant

Editing poetry is a touchy subject, but yes it does need a bit of edting. A typo changes word meanings, and punctuation can change the impact of the words. While editing is not usually major, minor edits even if done by the writer alone would sometimes be in order.

Red
    Keymaster

I have found the need for editing poetry. While some poets have editors in their fingers, often a misplaced comma or a missing e at the end of a word makes a huge difference in meaning, meter and rhyme scheme.

Even touchy poets know there is a difference in what is written when the lines break in different places based on commas and semicolons.

I do, however, support non-Nazi punctuation, since many poets choose a semicolon where commas are appropriate and vice versa.

Andro
    Participant

I think that editing is only necessary if the poem does not flow properly, though on balance I would imagine that when a writer offers his or her work for publication that there will be grammatical errors, or the structure of the poem offered fails to deliver, but not in all cases.

Red
    Keymaster

I have seen a few where the structure was a head scratcher. It reminds me of… If I have to explain it, it isn’t funny…

Andro
    Participant

Yes you must see all kinds of horrors 🙁 Actually I thought that there were another two replies on this thread but no just the one and I am sorry for my late response to you Red 🙁 Have a superb rest of Tuesday and be good 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.