Chat with Janet Russell – 2pm CST – here at Redmund Pro on Tuesday, 3/5

Chat with Janet Russell – 2pm CST – here at Redmund Pro on Tuesday, 3/5

Home Forums RedmundPro Forums Live Chat Chat with Janet Russell – 2pm CST – here at Redmund Pro on Tuesday, 3/5

This topic contains 19 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Janet Russell 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Laurie Beall
    Participant

What made you decide to put your artwork together as a book? Was it something that you had wanted to do for a long time, or was it a spur of the moment thing when the opportunity came up?

Janet Russell
    Participant

(this was copied to Notepad and pasted here from there – I hope it looks better than the first one!)

Here is another great question from Red…

Do art books need to have some text to help the reader understand the point to the book?
    I think it’s a good idea, simply because the artist may wish to share a powerful moment/experience that happened while making one piece.
    Or perhaps, like mine, there is a deeper subject to be shared, like the story and history of fractals and fractal art. To me that was a major goal in creating this book – to raise awareness and hopefully appreciation of and respect fractal art, which is a relatively new branch of digital art.
    Then, of course, for me the titles are an integral part of any piece, so I like to have titles with all my art. That is not to take away from the viewers’ imaginings, rather to clarify where I was at the time of its creation! I love it when folks say what a piece reminds them of, or what emotions a piece might evoke.
    And I get a lot of positive feedback on my titling skills… it is truly one of my favorite parts of the whole process!

🙂

Janet Russell
    Participant

DARN!!!

Janet Russell
    Participant

Hmmm… somewhere inside of me, I think I always thought there was a book, but it didn’t really gel specifically into a book of my art until I began to have a large and still growing portfolio.
    I had actually begun carrying around a smaller version, just using some printouts and one of those little photo albums. Of course, distribution on that would be very small! That was all in an attempt to get my art out there, for people to see, and hopefully be interested enough to visit my online galleries.
    When this opportunity arose, it felt like something I had been planning all along, even if I hadn’t realized it!
    I couldn’t be happier, the way it all came together and the final product – I’m so proud – just makes my heart jump!!
    🙂

Laurie Beall
    Participant

If you could spend a day only doing what you wanted to do, what would you do?

Janet Russell
    Participant

I have one more question from Red… let’s see if I can post it and answer it like I know what I’m doing this time!!!

Is it possible to get a quality art print book in paperback?I answer this with a resounding YES!  I couldn’t be happier.

Though I was somewhat nervous, I put my trust in my publisher. I trusted she would know what type of paper and quality printing would lead us to a product to be proud of. And boy, did she!!! Every bit of this book is of a quality that exceeded my expectations.

I think one of the most surprising things was how well texturing and other 3D effects translated onto a print version of the piece. I found myself reaching out to touch several pieces, expecting to be able to feel the texture as well as see it.

🙂

Janet Russell
    Participant

Oh boy… that’s an easy one, Laurie! With all the excitement and preparation that went into getting the book published, Redmund Pro launched and now promoting all the “launch” books, I have had little time to actually sit down and get lost in creating some new art. I miss it dearly. In the few minutes I’ve managed to find to do this, I realize how much of my mental and emotional and even physical health is affected by my ability to express creatively.

So, that’s what I’d want to do… just have hours and hours ahead of me when I could put all my energy into creating. When I am caught up in that feeling, it’s like time has disapeared and I am living in a timeless place, where the only thing that matters is expressing what the muse is trying to tell me.

Even eating – I’d rather not even have to worry about things like eating and stuff…

if only…

🙂

Janet Russell
    Participant

Well, that about takes up our hour… I really want to thank Laurie for being here today and Red for leaving me some thought provoking questions.

And thanks to any who might be here just watching without participating…

If you think of any questions or comments, please feel free to add them to this thread and I will keep my eyes open for new posts.

Have a great week everybody!!

🙂

Red
    Keymaster

Those are terrific answers to my questions. How has the marketing for your book replaced the time you spent making it? Do you have a niche market or is this a book which will appeal to those who may not fancy themselves as arty types?

Janet Russell
    Participant

Hi Red…

as far as marketing time, I find that a few minutes a day on my various SM sites is pretty easy to fit in, for the most part. I focus on FB, Pinterest and Google+. Relating that to the time spent making it, the making of the art is an ongoing process. One which I haven’t been able to devote as much time as I’d like, lately.
    But assembling the book, deciding which images to use, their order, prepping them for size and sharing requirements, that also was time consuming and intense, but once it was done, except for slight changes, it was done.

I think mostly my book will be of interest to those who know of or have heard of fractals. So students of math, eg might find it an inspiring stick-to-it motivator. My hope is to widen the circle of interest to include any/all artist types, math enthusiasts, as well as those who just enjoy looking at digital art. Beyond that, it’s really wide open, because part of my intent is to inform the world about fractals and fractal art, with the understanding that you don’t have to be a math geek to get it or even make them!

Those who don’t “fancy themselves as artsy types” pretty much covers all my friends and relatives. So by them sharing with their friends, I hope for that circle to expand too.

Thanks for your great questions, Red. They help me to see an aspect of myself and my art and my book, that I might not have focused on!

Have a great day!

🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.