Chat with Janet Russell – 2pm CST – here at Redmund Pro on Tuesday, 3/5

Chat with Janet Russell – 2pm CST – here at Redmund Pro on Tuesday, 3/5

Home Forums RedmundPro Forums Live Chat Chat with Janet Russell – 2pm CST – here at Redmund Pro on Tuesday, 3/5

This topic contains 19 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Janet Russell 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Janet Russell
    Participant

Fractal Dreams CoverI’ll be here to field any questions or comments you may have about fractals, fractal art, or even my new book FRACTAL DREAMS.  Plenty of time to think about what you always wanted to know about me but were afraid to ask! Don’t be shy!
    If you can’t be here during the LIVE CHAT, you can leave some questions for me, which I will be happy to answer. You can stop by later to see my answers.

CU here, next Tuesday! Remember, starting 2pm Central Standard Time / 3pm Eastern Standard Time.

🙂

Red
    Keymaster

When laying out an art book, how important is the orientation to the book for the reader’s enjoyment?

Red
    Keymaster

Is it possible to get an art quality picture in a paperback book?

Red
    Keymaster

Do art books need to have some text to help the reader understand the point to the book?

Janet Russell
    Participant

hi… anybody here yet?

🙂

Laurie Beall
    Participant

I’m here, just hoping the weather lets me stay.

So where does the inspiration for your art come from?

Janet Russell
    Participant

Good afternoon, and welcome to one and all!!!

I see we have some “pre”-questions, so while everybody settles in, I’ll start us out by answering one of them.

Red has posed some great questions for me today… here’s the first:

When laying out an art book, how important is the orientation to the book for the reader’s enjoyment?
    Great question, Red… In my opinion, it is critical for the viewer to see the art as the artists created it and intended for it to be viewed. Orientation , something so simple, can have  a major influence on the viewers’ perceptions. Actually, I often look at my work turning it 90 degrees again and again, to see what I think most closely expresses the emotions I am trying to express with a piece.
    At the same time, I don’t want the physical handling of the book to be awkward, if it becomes necessary to flip it so the viewer can see the image in its intended orientation. Since most of my images are landscape, there were only a few that had to be viewed “differently” . By putting the titles in appropriately, the reader can then see which orientation is intended.

And who knows, perhaps the reader will like it better oriented as I had not intended. That is perfectly fine, because it indicates it is touching something in the viewer that means something to him/her.

Janet Russell
    Participant

Hi Laurie… sorry about the look of that first question – I now know better than to use Wrod to copy/paste from!!

You know, inspiration is everywhere and anywhere. I might be reminded of an event in my life, or hear a lyric or riff of a tune that harbors deep- memories.As far as creating the image, it all is pretty visual – at some point I see where I want it to go and began sending it in that direction. But sometimes I get surprised and end up with something I really like that I had NO intention of creating.
    I’m often inspire3d by mythologies, the cosmos, science – weird stuff like that!

🙂

Laurie Beall
    Participant

No worries. Does your artwork every inspire you to write stories?

Janet Russell
    Participant

I’d have to say not entire stories, but scenes, definitely. Perhaps a moment of tenderness between two characters (nameless, at this point) or a scene of the layout of the land or buildings or things like that. Could be anything from macro to microcosmic. I guess my efforts have mostly gone into honing the visual side of the process, rather than the story/background/characters involved.
    I can say, I would sure be proud if someone were inspired to write a story based on one or some of my work!

🙂

Maybe one day, though…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.